About Ashwell Village
A planned Anglo-Saxon town, Ashwell has a range of buildings which are dominated by the impressive 14th century St Mary’s Church in the centre – which can be seen from miles around. A market town at the time of the Domesday Survey of 1086 the street pattern still indicates where the market place was. During the medieval period the village stagnated and is one of the reasons for the wealth of timber-framed buildings to be found when walking in the High Street.
Today the village is home to about 1,700 people and is a hub of activity, though this population is constantly changing due to the dynamic activity of the surrounding areas towards North Hertfordshire, Stevenage and London, and the continuing prosperous growth of the Cambridge are and Royston.
It still remains a peaceful desirable, an in many places, carefully preserved village.